Curb appeal does matter. Attracting serious buyers requires a well showcased home both inside and out especially in the summer season. After all, your curb appeal is your first opportunity to “wow” your prospective buyers, and to entice them to step into your door to see the rest of the house.
It was a great pleasure to be one of the contributors back in December when Luke Skar put together a mega blog on how to achieve an enticing curb appeal when selling during the cold months. And now that the summer is here, he once again gathered the industry experts with a comprehensive guide on how to enhance your curb appeal in the summer.
As one of the contributors for this blog, here are my top 10 ways to enhance your summer curb appeal taken from that article.
1. Keep shrubbery and trees properly trimmed and manicured so the house looks well maintained, clean, bright, and more spacious from the street. Unkempt front yard can send a wrong message to buyers which could lead to a drive by to their next listing.
2. Remove children’s toys, garbage containers, recycling bins, or any other unnecessary items cluttering your front yard. Your goal is to showcase a curb appeal that says “welcome home” and clutter screams exactly the opposite of that.
3. Fix your warped or broken garage door. It is one of the largest, most visible, elements of your home from the street. Leaving it broken can ruin a great first impression. A coat of paint usually does the trick, works like an instant “face-lift” but if the problem is the mechanical part of it, a garage door repair company can fix it no time.
4. Consider repainting your front door. The right door colour can make your home stand out in on- line photos making it more visually appealing than boring non-descript doors. It can set your home apart from competition and can increase interest from potential buyers.
5. Replace your old or worn-out door knob with a new gleaming hardware. Replace broken mail boxes, your tarnished or dated house numbers, and broken light fixtures by the porch or by the garage if needed. These are quick and inexpensive upgrades that have big impact to buyers.
6. Make sure the walkways and porches are swept clean. If you have a porch, showcase it well! Stage it with a cozy seating area and take advantage of the summer blooms! It can add cheer and colour to your home; not to mention it looks great on the listing photos too!
7. Both sides of the house should be clean and free of “stuff”. Do not use this spot to dump garbage or unwanted furniture pieces that you removed from the inside of the house, this space shouldn’t be a temporary “catch all” spot!
8. Give your windows a good wash, glass windows accumulates grime and dust (especially if you haven’t touched it for years) let it shine and sparkle again! If doing this should pose a safety concern, hire professional window cleaners, they always get the job done!
9. Give the front pavement and the back deck a good pressure wash. It’s a great alternative to painting. Once everything’s washed you might discover it doesn’t need to be repainted at all; perhaps just a touch-up will do. If you don’t have the time or the right equipment to do it, hire a professional. Window cleaning professionals usually do this too.
10. And lastly, if possible, park your cars down the street to give your front yard a more spacious appearance from the street, while also providing your buyers a more convenient parking.
Click here to read Luke Skar’s entire post.
is a Canadian Certified Staging Professional. His professional affiliations include the Real Estate Staging Association (RESA) and the CSP. He is the recipient of numerous home staging awards and was picked as RESA’s Top Professional Stager of Canada for 2016. He has worked with hundreds of Real Estate Brokers, Investors, Real Estate Agents, and has helped home owners showcase their homes at its best when it is time to sell.
As President and Principal Stager of REDESIGN4MORE, Red provides home staging and interior redecorating services for both small and large-scale residential projects throughout Toronto and the GTA. Click here to learn more about Red and REDESIGN4MORE.
REDESIGN4MORE Inc. is committed to respecting your privacy and recognizes a need for the appropriate protection of any personal information that you agree to provide to us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfill your request.
© 2016 Copyright REDESIGN4MORE | All Rights Reserved.
Website by UV Designs