Recently, I wrote an article for Condo Confidential Magazine for their fall issue on effectively staging condominiums when selling during the fall and winter months. I thought I would share here some highlights from that article to help keep your listing hot during these cold season!
1. Start from your exterior. Wipe down your front door and replace any door hardware that looks old and worn. A fresh coat of paint on the door will also create a welcoming approach for home buyers.Make sure that your driveway and walkways are cleared of snow and ice and salted to prevent accidents. Your home will look well-maintained, creating a great first impression. If you don’t have time to do this, hire a reputable snow removal company.
2. Don’t forget your windows. Most showings occur during the day when sunlight reveals how dirty windows have become. The harsh winter can cause your windows to collect grime inhibiting natural light from shining through. Plan to periodically have your windows washed and cleaned both inside and outside.
3. Lights on. During the winter months, homes can look dark and dreary inside because of reduced daylight. Today’s home buyers are turned off by a home interior that is not bright and light. When showing your home, turn on all of the lights in the rooms. Use floor lamps, table lamps, and ceiling lights to create a bright atmosphere.
4. Take Advantage of Natural Light. Schedule your showings when the sun is at its brightest – between 10 am and 3 pm. Open all blinds and drapes to capture optimal sunlight. If your condo looks dark, it may be because of your window treatments. It’s best to remove heavy ornate drapery that is also weighing down the room. Replace them with sheers or blinds. If privacy is not an issue, let the gorgeous view contribute to your selling success.
5. Make it comfortable and cozy. Take the chill off your buyers by lighting the fireplace if you have one. Place a throw across a chair or couch for the look of added warmth. Use thicker comforters on the beds to create a snug look.
6. Use warmer colours to accessorize the rooms. Warmer colours like reds, oranges, and lighter browns can create a cozy, inviting ambience and are appealing in colder weather. Use pillows, throws, rugs, decorative accents, and artwork that include these colours.
7. Keep your seasonal decorations simple. Don’t go overboard. A welcoming wreath on your front door and some electric candles in the windows make for an inviting approach. Remove any large inflatable decorations from your lawn. If you have strung a multitude of lights on the exterior of your home, you should remove them. When selling, less is more! You want home buyers to focus on your home not your holiday décor.
8. Keep holiday décor non-denominational. Not all potential buyers celebrate the same holidays you do. The less personal you make your home, the better chance the buyers will concentrate on your home and not on any biases. Replace nativity scenes and menorahs with fresh flower arrangements, a decorative bowl filled with ornaments, or a festive grouping of candles or vases.
9. Consider one or two holiday colour schemes. Using a variety of colours will make your home look cluttered and can also be very distracting to potential buyers.
(Please consider and respect the rules and regulations of your condominium community when adding decorative accessories to the exterior of your unit.)
Selling in the winter months can be challenging, but keep these staging tips in mind to help you maximize your home’s selling power and to get you the hottest offer in the cold winter months!
Click here for the full article.
Let us help you sell your home faster and for top dollar! Our passion is staging homes! We are here to guide you every step of the way in merchandising your home for a successful sale in the Toronto, Etobicoke, Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill, and the GTA. Contact us today at 416.871.3128 to schedule a consultation.
REDESIGN4MORE Inc. is committed to respecting your privacy and recognizes a need for the appropriate protection of any personal information that you agree to provide to us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfill your request.
© 2016 Copyright REDESIGN4MORE | All Rights Reserved.
Website by UV Designs