When selling your investment property, are you tempted to leave the house empty? Decorating your house to sell, also called “home staging” or “real estate staging,” will help you sell your investment in record time and get top dollar for your home.
According to home staging expert Debra Gould, real estate investors who are preparing to list a home on the market shouldn’t skimp on furnishings and accessories in an attempt to save money. “When you’ve gone through expensive renovations, suffered with delays or extended beyond your budget, it’s difficult to stay motivated to the bitter end,” says Gould. “It can be tempting to say, ‘It’s good enough. The paint’s dry. Let’s put it on the market as is!’ This is shortsighted and can cost you a bundle! It’s relatively inexpensive to rent anything you need, and these finishing touches help ensure that you make the profit you deserve for all those costly renovations and repairs.”
Imagine it’s the Academy Awards. A big star is planning to wear a fabulous designer gown, so she decides she doesn’t really need to get her hair done. Does everyone talk about the fabulous gown? Of course not. All they can remember is the terrible hair!
Or imagine a fine painting that’s been placed in a frame from the dollar store. Does the painting have the same appeal as it would if it had been framed by a professional? Conversely, have you ever taken one of your child’s paintings and had it framed? What a difference it makes compared to how it looks when it’s stuck to the fridge with a magnet.
5 Reasons It’s a Bad Idea to Leave Rooms Empty When Showing Your House
1. People don’t buy houses; they buy homes.
2. It is difficult to understand how large a room is when there’s nothing in it to use as a reference point.
3. People can’t visualize how furniture will fit in an empty space, and if they’re unsure, they don’t buy.
4. When a room is empty, prospective buyers focus on negative details instead of falling in love with the overall space. Rather than looking at the flow of one room to another, prospective buyers get bogged down in questions like: Is the drywall smooth? Will those bumps in the carpet come out? Why doesn’t the closet have a hanging bar? Why doesn’t that molding fit perfectly? Why is the light switch in the middle of the wall?
5. When a house or even a few rooms are empty, prospective buyers may become distracted from the house itself and shift their focus to the homeowners. Instead of focusing on whether this is the home for them, they may be busy wondering: Is this couple getting a divorce? Has the family left town? Are they selling because they have money problems? This train of thought can then prompt buyers to begin thinking, “Maybe I can put in a low-ball offer since the seller might be desperate.” Definitely not the picture you are trying to paint!
Home staging is about packaging a home to show off its best features and downplay the flaws. You romance the buyer and entice them into making an emotional connection with your house. So, bring in some furnishings and accessories to add character and warmth to the home. Taking the time for these final details will ultimately translate into a higher return on your investment.
Internationally recognized home staging expert Debra Gould is president of Six Elements and creator of the Staging Diva Home Staging Business Training Programwith over 4,000 students worldwide. Gould is the author of four home staging guides and offers a Directory of Home Stagers to help homeowners and real estate agents locate home stagers who will decorate homes to sell quickly and for top dollar. To learn more, visit www.stagingdivadirectoryofhomestagers.com
Written by internationally recognized home staging expert Debra Gould, The Staging Diva®, www.stagingdiva.com. © Copyright Six Elements Inc. Used with permission.
REDESIGN4MORE Inc. is committed to respecting your privacy and recognizes a need for the appropriate protection of any personal information that you agree to provide to us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfill your request.
© 2016 Copyright REDESIGN4MORE | All Rights Reserved.
Website by UV Designs